Sunday, March 5, 2023

Lost on the Sahara


 

Lost on the Sahara

If I had a map and compass
I’d know which direction to go
escape the endless dunes and heat
from this desert that’s swallowed me whole.

I must conserve my energy
for survival I must apply,
the sun is bearing down on me
and canteen’s entirely dry.

Waves of heat obscure my vision
and there’s a darkness taking form
that looks like something’s coming
amidst the gathering storm.

A dragon’s fire, scorching hot
flies in on the winds of the west
a sand of fiery pellets
that burns my face and my chest.

The sandstorm came in an instant
and was gone as fast as it came
while flaring sun returned with heat
with surroundings no longer the same.

Out of the sand stood a pillar
grey marks etched deep on its side,
with map to an ancient city
that served as a traveler’s guide.

I dug to follow the markings
and came upon sealed door,
removed the sand that blocked it
that displayed a large granite floor.

The way inside this cavernous rock
glowed white where a staircase was seen
so down I went into the earth
where the air was cool and pristine.

A roaring sound caught my mind,
an underground river was near
I managed my way to its edge
and saw that the water was clear.

I drank what the desert had stolen
submerged in tranquility
such cool relief from its water
in this place of antiquity.

And there in the liquid’s reflection
three tunnels moved underground
carved in a bedrock of granite
with statues of Thoth further down.

I gathered my thoughts and excitement
remembered that I was still lost
returned to the post of markings
to a map of figures embossed.

I recognized a few landmarks
on this map of the river Nile
which showed the place I was standing
way back was less than a mile.

“Follow the belt of Orion
due east on the Giza plateau
from there you’ll regain your bearings
and this story that needs to be told.
-------------------------------------


No comments:

Post a Comment

The Activist Poet

Poetry & Prose

Best Rock Music of 2021

World United Music Promotions

Art & Expression of SF Brennan

The Immune System & the Dangers of a Vaccine after Immunity reached - Professor Sucharit Bhakdi, MD

Healthy Athletes and Heart Problems After Getting the Jab